- June 4 2018
Blue boxes and recycling are picked up every week. Your recycling must be placed at the curb in front of your property between 7 pm on the evening before and 7 am on the morning of your scheduled pick up day.
Two Stream Recycling
You can put out as many blue boxes as you need, but since Hamilton has a two stream recycling system you will need at least 2 blue recycling boxes for proper sorting. Put all your bottles, cans, cartons and jars into one blue box and put all your paper and cardboard into a different blue box. Throw the items loosely into the blue box and don’t bag it!
Ensure that you separate your recycling accordingly. Hamilton has a two stream recycling system; this means that papers and cardboard go into one blue box and containers go into a separate blue box.
Paper and cardboard
- Flatten your cardboard and tie it in bundles no bigger than 76 cm x 76 cm x 20 cm (or 30 in x 30 in x 8 in).
- Stack a heavier blue box on top of a lighter blue box so your recycling doesn’t blow away.
- Stand paper and cardboard up-and-down instead of laying them flat so they don’t blow away.
- Paper and cardboard will only be picked up if they are in a blue recycling box from the City of Hamilton, a plastic container that is the same size and shape as a blue box from the City of Hamilton or a clear plastic bag that is tied at the top.
Paper products that don’t go in the paper and cardboard stream:
- Paper coffee cups, paper plates and paper towels go in your green bin, not in your blue box.
- If the paper product is difficult to rip, or if there is visible plastic or metallic lining, it is garbage.
- Milk and juice cartons and juice boxes go in your blue box with glass, plastic, cans, cartons and containers.
Glass, Plastic, Cans, Cartons and Containers
- All of your bottles, cans, cartons and jars must be empty before you put them in your blue box.
- Give your bottles, cans, cartons and jars a quick rinse before you put them in your blue box.
- Throw all your metal lids into your blue box.
- Plastic bags and plastic product outer wraps (must be bagged together and double tied)
- Make sure each blue box does not weigh more than 13 kg (or 30 lbs).
- Bottles, cans, cartons and jars will only be picked up if they are in:
- a blue recycling box from the City of Hamilton,
- a plastic container that is the same size and shape as a blue box from The City, or
- a clear plastic bag that is tied at the top.
- Bag all of your stretchy plastic bags and plastic product outer wrap together, double tie the bag, and put it in your containers blue box.
- Plastic bags and product wrap “ like bread, grocery, milk and produce bags, and product wrap used on paper towels, diapers, bathroom tissue and water bottles are recyclable.
- You may also be able to return clean, dry, empty plastic bags and product wrap to a retail store, or bring them to a Community Recycling Centre.